Thursday, November 02, 2006

Some random thoughts, per Greg

1. All sales are final. Buyer beware.
2. American moms would have a fit here. There are no napkins, unless in a western restaurant.
3. Receipts are like napkins.
4. Why is it that Americans think of Chinese-made goods as cheap and to be avoided yet will get to China and spend hours upon hours oohing and ahhing over literally thousands of shops and millions of goods.
5. Traffic laws here don't even rise to the level of suggestion.
6. I have seen rivers that don't flow around slower obstacles as good as various vehicles here can.
7. We have seen literally hundreds of thousands of cars, buses, bicycles, motorbikes, etc. and exactly one, yes just one, traffic ticket being issued. What could that person possibly have done?!
8. Pedestrians DO NOT have right of way unless you consider riding on the face of someone's radiator grill your right to assert your way.
9. It is good I don't drive here. I am afraid I might have to "tap" a motorbike as it rode up and pulled in front of me at a stoplight when I was in the first position.
10. When you order 1/2 a chicken you get a half a chicken.
11. I didn't know you could split the head of a chicken so cleanly from top to bottom.
12. The kids did not react like I thought they would when I showed them the inside of a cooked chicken head with all parts still present....well, half of them anyway.
13. The chicken we had was really really, no I mean really dumb. I have heard of birdbrained and half-brained, but this bird had both.
14. I never thought I would see the day when my kids would pick up half a head with their chopsticks and then continue to eat. I sure am proud of these guys!
15. Pigeon, cooked well, is actually very good.
16. I can't believe I just wrote that.
17. I can't believe I meant it.
18. A whole cooked pigeon head on your plate is surprisingly much more disconcerting than a cooked half chicken head.
19. They sure like their lights here. Las Vegas should have so much neon in places.
20. I never knew you could animate an entire side of a 50(?) story building. That's cool.
21. China is just beginning to grasp capitalism...at least in areas.
22. Someone should teach them about supply and demand.
23. Price tags are for sissies.
24. "Sissies" is a word we used to use pre-PC days.
25. If you feel like you ripped them off and they feel like they ripped you off, it was a success.
26. We got ripped off once today, and I knew it. I won't sleep well tonight.
27. It is amazing, I mean amazing how a place can be so dirty and so clean all at once.
28. Get off the island. This is my new metaphor for life. Our hotel is on a beautiful and safe island. It is also dull and safe. Life happens off the island but most Westerners will never know it. Wherever you are in life, get off the island.
29. Foiling pickpockets was really fun today. Rookies.
30. China will never be a total player on the world stage until they understand how to use sugar.
31. Listen to your guide when she tells you not to eat from a certain street vendor because she will refuse your call to her in the middle of the night from the hospital.
32. Runs are only fun if you are in track.
33. Or baseball.
34. There is nothing quite like the disappointment of drooling over people in town eating corn on the cob and ordering one for yourself after days of watching this only to find out that they use feed corn rather than sweet corn.
35. Squid on a stick looks creepily cool.
36. I will never know how it tastes.
37. We would not have chosen to arrive a week early, but I am really glad we did.
38. Does anyone know where I can get good pigeon back home?

No comments: