Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Firsts

Here is a list of some first time experiences for Arilyn Sneha:

1. Drying her hands with paper towels. Clearly she had never seen this before and thought it strange.

2. Drinking soda (I know, I know, but we ordered lemonade and they brought us Sprite. What can you really expect for communication at a Chinese restaurant in India?) She initially rejected it, "Don't want." I encouraged her to try it saying it was good. She reluctantly took one sip. Pondered a brief moment, then grabbed the bottle and began drinking deeply with a smile in her eyes.

3. Riding on an escalator. She had clearly never seen one before, much less ridden on one before we got to the airport.

4. Flying in an airplane. She was well prepared for the experience and really enjoyed the trip from Bangalore to New Delhi, which is a good thing as she has 3 more plane rides ahead of her: 8 hrs 15 mins, 9 hrs 40 mins, and 1 hr 8 mins. Good times ahead!

5. Riding in an elevator. She doesn't understand the pleasure of pushing buttons on an elevator. The one here at the hotel is only one flight and is glassed in looking outside. What fun.

6. Wearing socks?!? She had never seen them before, did not know what they were called, does not know how to put them on, and loves them. Very funny.

7. Knocking on doors. I told her to knock on one of the doors, and she had no clue what I meant. I showed her, then I had to show her again the next time. I have no idea what that means for where she came from....

8. Eating with a fork. Asked me what it was called, then needed instructions and a demonstration on proper usage.

9. Using hair conditioner. Tanisha and Jenny, I will require advice from you on how to help soften her hair. It is rough and prickly on the ends, to describe it at all.

10. Knowing the love of her daddy and mommy. And that is the best first of all :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would not encourage the "pleasure of pushing the elevator button". What is it with that? My kids (except Samuel) STILL fight over who will push the button.